Myrtleford Bike Ride Info:
Go to web site <www.murraytomountains.com.au> Click here for a good look at trail
Below and attached are details of the much praised 'Murray to Mountains' Rail Trail. It is in North Eastern Victoria. Starting at Wangaratta - 3.5 hours drive from Melbourne - up Hume highway. The area has wonderful scenery, great facilities re food, toilets, picnic areas - you name it and they have it. The trail is very well serviced with rest stops. I am a little biased as I grew up in the area - however it has to be one of the loveliest areas in Australia. Average Mean Max temperature for November is 23 and mean minimum is 7.5, but can be very cold in am.
When do we go? Weekend of the 6th of November ? - This weekend ties in with Betty's trip on the mainland.
Anyway here are the details - Wangaratta is starting point - 3.5 hours from Melbourne by car.
1. Friday 6th - 6am flight Hbt/Melbourne - Virgin - $64.00 + Luggage allowance
2. 11am Bus from Airport to Wangaratta, Click here -$65 return (This bus only runs Mon., Tues., Wed. & Friday)
3. 2.20 arrive at Wangaratta - they will drop us off at bike hire place.
5. 56K Wangaratta to Myrtleford - it is daylight saving time - this will take us 4 hours I reckon or a bit more.
6. Myrtleford Caravan Park Click here - or where ever you wish - me I am staying at caravan park - as I have stayed before and it is in a lovely location - cheep and cheerful.
7. 6th -Overnight Myrtleford
8. Saturday 7th - we can choose what we do - look at the map and take your pick - but I reckon lunch at the Gapsted winery is a MUST - such a beautiful location - 10K from Myrtleford. Some might want to ride to Beechworth - 35K return - but a great little town - lovely scenery on way, or - 60K return to Bright - we could do on Saturday or Sunday - this is a very easy flat ride.
9. Overnight Myrtleford - Saturday night
8. Sunday 8th - lots of possible rides - perhaps this is the day we do Bright - it is 2.5 hour up to Bright. Bright, Click here is a stunning little town, lots of great places to seat and eat - Plus there are millions of other places on way.
9. Overnight Myrtleford - Sunday - 8th - (for those who wished to return to Hobart on Sunday - there is a 2.30 bus that leaves Bright at 2.30 - it goes through Myrtleford and on to the railway station in Wangaratta - it connects with a 4pm train direct to Melbourne arriving in Melbourne at 7pm)
9. 9th - Monday - Bus to Wangaratta - 5.58 am arrive Wangaratta 6.38 - Bus to Airport - 7.10 arrive airport 10.30 - Flight home 11.45 - $64.00 + luggage allowance.
The bus from airport to Wangaratta I feel is better than busing into the Melbourne city and catching a train to Wangaratta. That option would mean cost a little more ($5) and would involve a bus to Southern Cross station from Airport - arrive about 8.20am. We would just miss the early train to Wangaratta (it leaves at 8.13) which would have got us to Wangaratta by 11.30. The next train from Melbourne to Wang leaves at 12.13 and we would not get into Wang until 3.20. Also the train option has us transferring from train to bus half way - messy.
For those who may wish to go on down to Melbourne rather than returning straight home the bus from Myrtleford on the Monday am goes to the Wangaratta Train station to meet the 6.48 train.
There are later buses and trains out of Myrtleford e.g. 9th -Myrtleford/11.48- Wang 12.5. 8-9th - Wang - to Melbourne Train - 1.30 pm. Details of trains to and from Melbourne: <www.vline.com.au> Click here details of bus from airport to Wangaratta and return <www.airportdirect.com.au> Click here